Driveaway

Moving trucks mindlessly across America. These blogs are posts of my trips doing driveaway work. My favorite driveaway quote: "Never plan, just be ready for the possibilities".

Sunday, October 02, 2005

In the Middle of a Run

Friday, 9/30/05, had a lot of activity. My wife teaches sixth grade science, and as part of a class project, she has an environmental clean-up campaign going for the Roanoke River along with Koppers Industries, near her school, Glenvar Middle. On this Friday, she was to take volunteers from her class over to Koppers for lunch and clean-up. I was volunteered to be both the bus driver and chaperone. The bus driver part I had agreed with.

Upon returning home, called dispatch to see if they had something lined up for me, which they did. Asked if I'd be interested in taking a rental car from Roanoke, VA to Louisville, KY, pick up a truck from the truck show there, deliver to Creedmoor NC, pick up another truck and deliver to Baton Rouge, LA. Since my wife would be gone for the weekend and I didn't have to be home until Wednesday night, I said yes. Picked up a small Altec bucket truck, a Ford 550. This is my fourth driveaway trip.

All has gone well until I attempted to deliver the truck at the Creedmoor lot. Plant was empty, gate didn't work, etc. After about an hour and a half was able to scare someone down who happened to be at the plant. Found that the lot I needed to get in to was in the back, so was able to make the delivery OK after that.

Then the problem. The truck I was supposed to pick up could not be found, and dispatch said they wouldn't be able to straighten it out until the office opens Monday morning, so told me to cool my heals at a motel until Monday morning (currently is Sunday). So, I've been able to catch up on some ball games, the race, golf, etc. I happened to bring my laptop along this time since I figured I would be out several days - the first time I've done that. Lucky to get in to a nearby Comfort Inn within walking distance of the plant and has internet access.

So, hopefully, I can walk over tomorrow morning, pick up the truck, and head out after a restful stop in Creedmoor. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home