Driveaway

Moving trucks mindlessly across America. These blogs are posts of my trips doing driveaway work. My favorite driveaway quote: "Never plan, just be ready for the possibilities".

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Trip 100 and Summer Vacation!

Since my last blog entry (I'm getting lazier about this all the time), I've completed several more trips, including my 100th, and am now officially on vacation for the summer. When my wife finishes teaching duties, we will be heading to our little home in Choteau, MT, June 13. We expect it to take about 4 days to drive the 2,200 miles unless we really get anxious and haul ass to MT, which we might do.

I'm not going to go into the details of each of the driveaway trips I've taken since the last entry. I'll post a couple of pictures, brag that I've now completed 101 trips, and let it go at that. So, the pictures:



There's actually two more, but they look like the chassis and the boom/chipper truck, so didn't see any need to upload the images. The chassis was my 100th driveaway trip, an accomplishment for which I am amazed. That's over 60,000 miles combined truck and chase car driving in less than 2 years. Never thought I'd do that many trips when I started doing this. Been burned out a few times, but since I've outfitted my tow car, I've been enjoying it a little more, and actually making a little more money. But driveaway is definitely not much of a money-maker and I'm still trying to figure out why I'm doing it. It was the excitement of travel, but getting to be too many trips into PA and the northeast, so I'm not sure it's that any more. Could make a joke about it being a good reason to be away from the wife, but that wouldn't be funny to some, so won't make that joke.

Oh, I know why I'm still doing driveaway - its for credit card airline points. That's how I manage to fly to Great Falls, MT. Otherwise, the airline tickets are just too much. With the credit card deal I have currently, I get 5 points for each dollar spent on fuel, and with some of the bigger crane trucks, I can rack up 1000+ points in one fuel-up. So that's why I still do it.

I've officially retired from school bus driving. I let Roanoke County know this week that I would not return next year. I've sort of enjoyed taking the sports teams to various events and the few field trips, but each time I look in that big mirror over the driver's head, I'm aware of the incredible responsibility and liability that I have as a driver. That, plus I'm just spending too much time driving between bus driving and driveaway, and I need to free up some time for Montana.

Anyway, I'm now officially on vacation until mid-August, so all you blog fans (and you know there are 10's), be safe out there and enjoy your summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home