Driveaway

Moving trucks mindlessly across America. These blogs are posts of my trips doing driveaway work. My favorite driveaway quote: "Never plan, just be ready for the possibilities".

Monday, December 15, 2008

Finally Got a Run - To the Ice Storm

I did finally get a run, after waiting for about 4 weeks for a call. The offer from dispatch was to leave on Friday (12/12/08) deadheading 250 miles to Ft. Mead, MD to pick up a truck for Frederick, MD. Then deadhead back about 50 miles to Odenton, MD to pick up one of 12 trucks to be returned to Altec in Plains, PA, which is a trip of about 200 miles. I was to move 2 of those trucks.

I left bright and early on Friday and got to Ft. Mead about noon. That is a complicated place, and I managed to go in the wrong entrance, which was the NSA entrance. My toad was sniffed by the dogs, then I made a wrong turn and ended up back off the base. My contact finally was able to find me and take me to the truck. I did the usual pre-trip, hooked up my toad, and was on the short trip to Frederick. I dropped there about 2:00 PM and headed to Odenton.

At Odenton, I found the trucks that were to be moved and found mine. Pre-tripping, I discovered that the left headlight was out. Rather than going to my other truck, I decided to go ahead and take this one. I left about 4:30 PM and fought the Baltimore traffic. I planned to stay in York, PA for the evening. On the way, dispatch called to say these 12 trucks were no longer going to be turned back in to Altec, but instead were going to New Hampshire for work with the severe ice storm they had up there. I was to go to the TA in Harrisburg on Saturday to fix the headlight, and by then dispatch figured they'd have the exact location in New Hampshire to take the truck.

I did spend the night in York and got an early start to Harrisburg. At the TA, I found that the holder and cover for the headlight were broken, and I could get a new bulb but the other parts would have to come from a dealer. I jury rigged the headlight using the ever-useful duck tape technique. When I was finished, dispatch did not yet have the destination, so I was told to just head on toward NH. About 100 miles up the road, dispatch called to say the truck was to go to Manchester, NH, but they did not yet have an exact drop point. So I kept driving toward NH, which would put me on the way to Manchester. However, on the way to Manchester, dispatch called to say they had decided to take the truck to Altec in Milbury, MA. That was closer and suited me, so I headed to Milbury.
I arrived in Milbury about 4:00 PM. When I called dispatch, I was told they had decided the truck had to be delivered to Rochester, NH that evening. So I headed out, again.

I arrived at the drop point in Rochester about 6:30 PM. It was buzzing with excitement. It appeared to be a control center for dispatching the repair crews for the ice storm. So I was happy to have done my small part.

I was then in the dilemma of being worn out and needing a hotel room in an area where most were without power. My CLC card came through again and I was able to find a cancelled room at a fairly nice hotel 25 miles away in Portsmouth, NH.

The next day, Sunday, dispatch was not able to find anything for me to move before Monday. Since I needed to be home on Tuesday, I decided to deadhead the 760 miles home. That makes for a long drive and a not too profitable trip.

But at least I was home, probably for the holidays. And my next trip, over Christmas, to Montana, is just around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home