Driveaway

Moving trucks mindlessly across America. These blogs are posts of my trips doing driveaway work. My favorite driveaway quote: "Never plan, just be ready for the possibilities".

Thursday, October 06, 2005

In the Middle (of a run) - the Saga Continues

Well, I doubt I'll have time or space to continue this whole thing, but I'll try to give the short version. Dick always likes for his trips to be an adventure, and this one has. I'm trying to keep thinking like that.

I went back over to the plant on Monday morning and after about an hour, they figured out that the truck I was to pick up in Creedmore, NC and deliver to Baton Rouge, LA was actually in Dunn, NC, about 50 miles south. The sales guy that sort of took responsibility for the foul up (I actually think dispatch should have been on top of it) was kind enough to drive me there. Really enjoyed that part of the trip because he really knew the business, my company and it's management, and I picked up a lot of good, insider info.

Got on the road with an International boom truck around noon on Monday. Made it to Baton Rouge, LA about 4 pm Tuesday. Other than having problems with the boom continuing to want to cheat to one side and hit the bucket on the side of the bed, the drive was right nice. Did learn how to start up and operate the boom late Monday night when I discovered that it was moving as the concrete roads bounced it around. My company has a guy who talked me thru re-adjusting it.

Baton Rouge is where the bottom fell out of what had been a good trip. The Yahoo Driveaway group had a message when Katrina hit warning us to stay out from delivering down there unless we really new what we are doing. Being the rookie, and as naive as I can be, I trusted dispatch when they kept assuring me that they would get me back home to Virginia by Wednesday night, so I could drive the school bus on Thursday. Since I'm currently sitting in Lexington, KY, I guess it's safe to say they didn't get me back.

After dropping the truck at the requested staging point at a Holiday Inn in Baton Rouge, dispatch discovered there were no rental cars to be had (duh), no flights at reasonable prices (duh) and told me to catch the Hound to Houston and they'd fly me out from there today (Wednesday).

Catching the Hound was the next challenge. The front desk staff at the Holiday Inn was kind enough to try to get me a cab to the bus station. However, after 20 minutes of busy signals, and then being told no cabs were available, it became apparent that I might be stuck. Further, the hotel had no rooms available if I got stuck there and they didn't know of any hotels that did.

In desperation, I called the contact I delivered the truck to, and he kindly suggested I drive it down town to the bus station and park it in the lot that FEMA controlled. He said I'd get some grief from them, but if I gave them his name I should be able to get in. He, and the desk staff, gave me quick directions to the bus station. I was rapidly running out of time to catch the bus.

I pushed my way to down town Baton Rouge directly facing the very bright afternoon sun that was, by now, setting directly in the middle of the road on which I was trying to find street names. Thru pure blind luck, finally found the bus station and the FEMA lot, but the guard almost pulled a gun on me and assured me I would NOT be parking the truck there. So I lucked out, again, and stuck it in a public parking lot. Was worried that it didn't fit well there, but had to commit.

The Greyhound station and bus was, once again, all you'd ever hope it could be. Standing in a very long line to get my ticket, I figured there would be no way seats would still be available to Houston, but they were. Station was crowded, passengers mad, no information/status coming from staff. Finally boarded the bus about an hour and a half late. Thought I had been able to fake everyone out on the totally full bus by putting my bag in the seat next to me, but the last passenger getting on, with all his bling, selected that seat. He was a real pleasure to sit next to, cussing the whole trip for whatever reason, and pushing me out of my isle seat as he tried to sleep.

During the ride, I asked a few passengers directions from the bus station to Hobby Airport. Lots of arguments about how to get there. Finally, a nice looking fellow a few rows up turned and said he'd get his ride to take me there since they would be going that way. Wasn't sure how that would work out given I'd never been in Houston before, didn't know this guy, and didn't know if I would ever be seen again. What a relief when, after arriving Houston, we were picked up by a beautiful young lady in a new SUV. They proceeded to take me by 6 or 7 hotels to try to find a room.

After arriving in Houston at 2:30 am my time (EDT) I found out the next obvious fact - there are no rooms to be had in Houston either. So, for the first, and hopefully, last time in my life, I tried to sleep on a bench at the airport. I now, for one time, know what it's like to be homeless.

Did catch the plane out to Louisville, KY by way of St. Louis. For whatever reason, rather than going straight back home, I picked up a Sterling 7300 crane truck for delivery to Daleville, VA. I'm worn out from being up two nights, so am bunking at the $39 (with coupons) Days Inn at exit 113 on I-64/75 in Lexington, KY.

There's lots more I can tell, but this is getting too long. To say this business is an adventure would be the biggest understatement of the century. To say that I need to figure out that dispatch wants to keep me on the road even when we agree to get me home would be an understatement. I think I'm going to have to start doing like most of the driveaway contractors and planning my own trips. Still wanted to learn the ropes more before I did that, but may have to jump in earlier if I really want to stay at this.

But, it's all in good fun - especially if you're pulling a retirement from the first career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home