Driveaway

Moving trucks mindlessly across America. These blogs are posts of my trips doing driveaway work. My favorite driveaway quote: "Never plan, just be ready for the possibilities".

Friday, December 30, 2005

The (Almost) Great Escape

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Had an interesting go 'round with dispatch yesterday.They called to see if I was available to take a truck to Chattanooga from Daleville, VA. I had told them I would not be available again until January 9, but it's started to get boring around here so I really wanted to consider the run. However, my wife is off from teaching for the holiday vacation and wasn't thrilled about me heading out. So I told dispatch I'd go if she could ride along, then we'd get a rental car and tour around a bit.

I'd already inquired previously about whether your wife can go along on trips and been told what I expected - no, can't go due to insurance. So, as expected, they decided she would not be able to travel with me. However, they did offer the choice of her driving a rental car along and just doing a round trip rental, which was actually going to save them money. My wife decided she really didn't want to do that, but it was OK for me to escape for a day or so, so I made the plans to go. Dispatch shortly called back and said to just plan to stay home. They'd found it would be too expensive to put me in a one-way rental and pay me to drive straight back home. So, guess I'm in for the duration.

I know it seems a bit odd to actually want to take your wife along, since many of us probably started driveaway work in order to get away (just kidding, honey). Just wondered if any of you have included the wife on any of your trips, and if you did, did you let dispatch know?

Have a happy rest of the holiday.

PS - The company must really be hopping this holiday season. They called again this morning to see if I'd be available next Monday, but this time I stuck to my guns. Not going out again until January 9.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home